Space & Time Collective is a creative team exploring politics and feminism in fan culture.
Writer Caitlynn Fairbarns and illustrator Sophie Paas-Lang work together to create beautiful fan works exploring their favourite aspects of geek culture. Their small press debut, May the Force Be With Her, is an illustrated history of the women in the Star Wars franchise.
Caitlynn is a freelance photographer and writer based in Toronto. She runs a collaborative and submission-based blog called Fake Geek Girls Like Us, which focuses on female representation within geek culture. She works for a variety of freelance clients and frequently organizes events around Toronto. Find more of her work at caitlynnfairbarns.format.com
Sophie is an award-winning freelance illustrator and designer from Toronto. She works for a variety of editorial clients but always makes time to draw her favourite characters in pop culture. Find more of Sophie’s illustration work at sophiepaaslang.com
May the Force Be With Her: An Illustrated History of the Women of Star Wars
May The Force Be With Her is a zine created by Space & Time Collective, written by blogger and editor Caitlynn Fairbarns and with art by illustrator and designer Sophie Paas-Lang. It celebrates the excellent women within the Star Wars films while also critiquing the franchises' decisions of how women are represented.
May The Force Be With Her is a brilliantly coloured eight-page zine filled will illustrations and insightful analysis of gender in Star Wars. It is an essential addition for any zine collector or Star Wars fan alike.
Seeing Double: Science Fiction Tropes and Feminist Themes in Orphan Black
Wonder Woman: 75 Years of Feminism and the Super Hero Icon
Wonder Woman is a zine created by Space & Time Collective, written by blogger and editor Caitlynn Fairbarns, with art by illustrator and designer Sophie Paas-Lang. Analyzing 75 years of history, the zine looks at Wonder Woman as an icon for female empowerment and how her representation of Western feminism has changed over time.
Wonder Woman is a boldly coloured eight-page zine filled with illustrations and insightful analysis of Wonder Woman’s feminist history. It is an essential addition for any zine collector or DC Comics fan.
Fandom and Creation: Interview with Space & Time Collective
Design Discussion is a bi weekly event where The Station gathers members from the art community and other Toronto creatives to share experiences, critiques, and network. In this discussion Space & Time Collective talks about developing community, collaboration, and identity through their work. The collective talks about creating intersections between feminism and fandom.
Feminists combine politics and fandom in May The Force Be with Her
TheFeminismProject.com brings you popular culture with a feminist twist. Whether we’re tackling harder issues or delving into the softer stuff — we’re about keeping it real, creating a dialogue that feels right and delivering the right message. Chloe Tse interviews two Toronto feminists who are tackling politics through fandom.
- Hal - Con / The WTCC & The Scotiabank Centre / Halifax, NS / Friday, September 22 to Sunday, September 24 2017
- Canzine Toronto / Art Gallery of Ontario / Toronto, ON / October 21, 2017
- Calgary Expo / Calgary Stampede Park / Calgary, AB / April 26-29, 2018
- Montreal Comic Con / Palais des Congrès / Montreal, QB / Friday, July 7 to Sunday, July 9 2017
- Toronto Comic Con / Metro Toronto Convention Centre / Toronto, ON / Friday, March 17 to Sunday, March 19
- Feminist Art Conference "Made by Feminists" / OCAD University / Toronto, ON, Saturday, January 31, 2017
- Fan Days Toronto / Metro Toronto Convention Centre / Toronto, ON / Saturday, December 10, 2016
- PINK XMAS / The 519 Community Centre/ Toronto, ON / Saturday, December 6 to Sunday December 6, 2016
- Hamilton Feminist Zine Fair / Hamilton Public Library / Hamilton, ON / Saturday, November 5, 2016
- Toronto Queer Zine Fair / Trinity-St. Paul’s United Church / Toronto, ON / Saturday October 15, 2016
- Etsy: Made in Canada Show / Saturday, September 24 2016
- Fan Expo Canada / Metro Toronto Convention Centre / Toronto, ON / Thursday, September 1 to Sunday, September 4, 2016
- MAY THE FORCE BE WITH HER LAUNCH PARTY! / hosted by Space & Time Collective / Toronto, ON / Friday, August 5, 2016
- Fake Geek Girls Like Us Annual Show / Annex Art Centre / Toronto, ON / Saturday, July 23, 2016
- Newmarket Card and Comics Show / Newmarket Community Centre / Newmarket, ON / Saturday, June 11, 2016
- Nerd Girl Burlesque: Revenge of the Strip / The Great Hall / Toronto, ON / Saturday, June 4, 2016